Makerspace in Residence Halls

Carolina Housing collaborated with UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School and Applied Physical Sciences to open a “makerspace” that enables students in this residential community to work with others in a multidisciplinary environment. The makerspace features 24 3-D printers, embroidery equipment, a full-service kitchen and tools for robotics and soldering, as well as conventional hand tools, creating endless possibilities.

“I’ve worked as an undergraduate researching in the Bennett Lab (CEMALB Department) for over a year. We work on a variety of lung biology projects, from inhalation toxicology to testing CPE and masks for COVID-19 protection,” said Maddie Dyson ‘21.

“The project I’ve used the makerspace for most recently involves an FDA grant to physically/experimentally determine the effectiveness of a CFD model for nasal spray deposition. In order to ensure the nasal spray release point is aligned to the CFD model, I created a “Nasal Positioning Device,” or NPD. I 3D printed the model in the makerspace, and here it is shown in the nose. I can get a better picture of it within in the actual testing environment soon.  I wouldn’t have been able to accomplish the rapid prototyping necessary to get the perfect NPD without the resources within the makerspace!”

Looking to the future, the program aims to increase opportunities for students in multiple disciplines to share ideas and collaborate.

“We are students’ academic home, and, as homework becomes creative, it becomes something you actually have to produce,” said Allan Blattner, director of Carolina Housing. “This becomes a space where [students] do their 21st-century homework.”

Let’s Stay in Touch

Address

Henry Owl Building
CB#5000
230 East Cameron Avenue
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-5000

NEWS

Stay up-to-date on the latest happenings!
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram